Unified Planning Work Program
The Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) describes transportation planning priorities and activities managed by the Miami-Dade TPO. The program includes specific tasks for the TPO and our planning partners that will be performed every two years. Our current UPWP is being carried out from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2022, and outlines the planning, projects, budget, and activities that support the comprehensive and multimodal transportation improvement program approved for Miami-Dade County.
Activities in the UPWP are completed in cooperation with various participating Miami-Dade County Departments, regional agencies, the Florida Department of Transportation and planning partners. This work is guided by policies of the State of Florida and the Miami-Dade TPO Governing Board.
Guidance from the Federal transportation agencies that support the program is also used as a significant element in the definition of planning projects. The UPWP includes a description of the planning work and resulting products, which agencies will perform the work, time frames for completing the work, the cost of the work, and the source of funds.
FYs 2021 & 2022 Unified Planning Work Program
The Miami-Dade TPO Governing Board adopted its FYs 2021 & 2022 Unified Planning Work Program on April 23, 2020 for tasks and activities to be carried out from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2022. The final adopted document is included below:
SMART Moves Program
The Strategic Miami Area Rapid Transit (SMART) Plan is advancing six rapid transit corridors, along with a network system of Bus Express Rapid Transit (BERT) service, to implement mass transit projects in Miami-Dade County.
The SMART Moves Program supports the SMART Plan and prioritizes and programs planning studies in Miami-Dade County that will support the delivery of projects including first/last mile connections, connected and autonomous vehicles and other priority projects that enhance mobility, safety, accessibility, and integration of the entire transportation network. The SMART Moves program promotes the implementation of community-based methods and cost-effective solutions that will lead to increased accessibility to transit and new congestion relief options for residents. The SMART Moves Program has two main components:
- Municipal Program: Encourages Miami-Dade County municipalities to participate in a competitive program for the implementation of relevant transportation planning studies and plans that will lead to improved mobility, safety, and accessibility.
- Public Input: Solicits transportation planning ideas from the general public and other agencies that will promote mobility, safety and accessibility.
SMART Moves Municipal Program
Approved SMART Moves Municipal Program projects are included in the FYs 2021 & 2022 UPWP under the SMART Moves Program Task.
Municipal portion beginning in FY 2021:
- City of Doral Boulevard Corridor Study
- Town of Cutler Bay Transportation Master Plan Update
- City of Miami Update of Bicycle Master Plan
- City of Miami Beach First-Last Mile Connection to the SMART Plan Study
- Village of Miami Shores Flagler Trail Greenway Study
- North Bay Village SR 934/79th Street Causeway Corridor Study
- Village of Palmetto Bay Multi-Use Trail Feasibility Study
General Public portion beginning in FY 2021:
Provide studies related to these categories:
- Complete streets studies including analysis to implement bicycle, pedestrian and shared use access facilities.
- SMART Transit improvements including feasibility and implementation of express routes on major thoroughfares or expansion of existing systems
- First/Last mile connections to the SMART Plan
- Connected and autonomous vehicles study and implementation of pilots, including safety considerations
Miami-Dade TPO Agreements
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) SERPM An agreement between the Miami-Dade TPO, Broward MPO, Palm Beach TPA and FDOT Districts 4 and 6 for the purpose of assigning roles and responsibilities and creating a decision making framework for future travel demand modeling tasks related to the Southeast Florida Regional Planning Model (SERPM). Executed on October 19, 2019.
- Management Agreement Services MOU Agreement between Miami-Dade TPO and Miami-Dade County for the purpose of utilizing county personnel to perform a substantial portion of each task necessary to carry out the transportation planning and programming process mandated by Federal regulations. Executed on July 1, 2013.
- Intergovernmental Coordination and Review (ICAR) Agreement between FDOT, Miami-Dade TPO, SFRPC, Miami-Dade County, SFRTA and MDX to have clearly defined, continuing, cooperative and comprehensive metropolitan transportation planning process. Executed on February 22, 2012.
- SEFTC Interlocal Agreement Creates the Southeast Florida Transportation Council to carry out Regional Transportation Planning and Coordination in South Florida region. Executed on January 9, 2006.
- Interlocal Agreement Creating Miami-Dade TPO To create and establish a Metropolitan Planning Organization and to confer upon it the power, authority and responsibility necessary to organize and structure itself in a manner most suitable for conducting a continuing, cooperative and comprehensive transportation planning process in cooperation with the Department of Transportation. Executed on March 2, 1977.
- Urban Transportation Planning Agreement Contract between FDOT and the Miami-Dade TPO to participate cooperatively in the performance of a coordinated, comprehensive transportation planning and programming process. Executed on March 2, 1977.
- Miami-Dade TPO By-Laws
To learn more about the Unified Planning Work Program please contact Lisa Colmenares, AICP at (305) 375-1738 or email@example.com.
Unified Planning Work Program PlansSelect Report:
FY 2021 and 2020 UPWP Updates
- Revision 1: (Modification) Miami-Dade TPO Task II Regional Item
- Revision 2: (Modification) Accommodate extraordinary items related to the COVID-19 pandemic and changes requested by FDOT to accommodate soft match
- Revision 3: (Modification) Disclose use of state funds to replace shortfall in funding as a result of state use of soft match for FTA 5305(d) Agreement
- Revision 4: (Amendment) Additional scope for transportation initiatives prioritized by TPO Task Forces
- Revision 5: (Modification) Identification of funds for DTPW Task Force Efforts
FY 2019 and 2020 UPWP Updates
- Revision 1: Amendment Task 5.3 SMART Plan Addition of Section 5305(d) Funds
- Modification 2: FTA 5305(d) Funds Task 5.3
- Revision 3: (Modification) PL Funds Various Tasks
- Revision 4: Amendment FY 2018 Carryover 5305(d) for Various Tasks
- Revision 5: Modification PL Funds Move in Task 1.3 from Salaries to Travel
- Revision 6: Modification PL Funds Move in Task 1.3 from ITD to Salaries
- Revision 7: Modificaiton PL Funds Move in Task 1.3 from ITD to Office Expansion
- Revision 9: Amendment Deoblogation of PL and SU Funds Forms 1 and 2
FY 2017 and 2018 UPWP Updates
- Revision 9: Amendment SU and PL De-obligation, May 30, 2018
- Revision 8: Amendment Task 1.4 TPO Legislative & Advocacy Services, May 29, 2018
- Revision 7: Amendment Task 4.1 2045 LRTP FY 2018 Section 5305(d) Addition of Funds, December 20, 2017
- Revision 6: Amendment Tasks 1.3 TPO Program Support, 5.2 Call for Ideas, 5.5 GPC and Deletion of Four Studies, October 10, 2017
- Revision 5: Modification Tasks 6.3 and 6.4, December 3, 2017
- Revision 4: Modification Task 2.1 Transportation/Land Use, January 23, 2017
- Revision 3: Modification Tasks 1.3 MPO Program Support and 6.3 SERPM Transfer of $83,333 to FDOT District IV, February 6, 2017
- Revision 2: Modification Task 5.15 SMART Plan Funds Reconciliation with Work Program, December 7, 2016
- Revision 1: Amendment Task 5.15 SMART Plan Funds Addition, November 28, 2016
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.